Monday 3 August 2015

Easy by Tammara Webber

When Jacqueline follows her longtime boyfriend to the college of his choice, the last thing she expects is a breakup two months into sophomore year. After two weeks in shock, she wakes up to her new reality: she's single, attending a state university instead of a music conservatory, ignored by her former circle of friends, and failing a class for the first time in her life.

Leaving a party alone, Jacqueline is assaulted by her ex's frat brother. Rescued by a stranger who seems to be in the right place at the right time, she wants nothing more than to forget the attack and that night - but her savior, Lucas, sits on the back row of her econ class, sketching in a notebook and staring at her. Her friends nominate him to be the perfect rebound.

When her attacker turns stalker, Jacqueline has a choice: crumple in defeat or learn to fight back. Lucas remains protective, but he's hiding secrets of his own. Suddenly appearances are everything, and knowing who to trust is anything but easy.
 



-- Goodreads.com description --

Warning! This review contains a minor spoiler of the first half of the book (nothing to worry about really, but still... now you are warned)!

I heard and read a lot of positive reviews of Tammara Webber's Easy. However, I wasn't all that impressed with them. I doubted that I would like this book, but let me tell you: I was wrong! In fact, I was completely blown away with this book!

I love the fact that it deals with rape in a realistic and positive way. The rape elements are not used in this book to create temporary suspense and then never mentions it. Jacqueline deals with it a very relatable way even though I have never experienced anything like that, it gave me it really made me think how I would deal with it if I were in that situation. 

To me, Jacqueline is a perfect role model, even though she at first makes a lot of mistakes, like not telling her best friend or refusing to call the police, those choices are understandable. If I were in that situation, I might not want to call attention to it as well. However, Webber has shown that those were the wrong decisions by having Jacqueline reflect on her decisions and making her realize that if you don't report it, someone else might share your fate or worse.

Jacqueline's best friend, Erin, was also an amazing character. Though, when first introduced, I thought she didn't have anything on her mind besides looking gorgeous and boys, my opinion of her quickly changed. She was incredible supportive of Jacqueline, when the latter finally found the confidence to tell her best friend. Erin was quick to take her friend's side, never doubting her story and always standing up for Jacqueline when she needed it. Ultimately, she convinced and accompanied Jacqueline to go to some self-defence classes.

And then there is Lucas. He is an incredibly interesting character! And of course a fantastic love interest. I'm not going to say much more about him, except that he is a swoon-worthy guy and one of the best love interests I've read in a while!

So if by now I still haven't convinced you to read this book, I will have to not recommend but actually command you to! I was so hesitant to read this book that I actually read it online, but I will definitely buy the book soon! It was incredible! A very well deserving 5 out of 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment