Friday 17 March 2017

Review: Daughter of the Pirate King by Tricia Levenseller

There will be plenty of time for me to beat him soundly once I’ve gotten what I came for.

Sent on a mission to retrieve an ancient hidden map—the key to a legendary treasure trove—seventeen-year-old pirate captain Alosa deliberately allows herself to be captured by her enemies, giving her the perfect opportunity to search their ship.

More than a match for the ruthless pirate crew, Alosa has only one thing standing between her and the map: her captor, the unexpectedly clever and unfairly attractive first mate, Riden. But not to worry, for Alosa has a few tricks up her sleeve, and no lone pirate can stop the Daughter of the Pirate King. 

-- Goodreads.com description --







I picked up Daughter of the Pirate King after trying out several other books and not finding any I truly wanted to read at that time. I read the first page of Tricia Levenseller's book and was immediately interested in reading more. So, naturally, I did! 

Alosa is a feisty, sassy and kick-ass pirate who I wouldn't dare to cross. She is everything I expected her to be. There is also a dash of fantasy/magic in this book, but it does not overtake the whole plot.

The crew of the Nightfarer was also a lot of fun to read about! The secondary characters were definitely entertaining, the two pirates who had to guard Alosa the most were a drunkard and a thief, and were responsible for a lot of comic relief.

The one thing I would have liked to have seen a bit differently is the romance. The relationship between Alosa and Riden felt way too rushed and at times unfounded. I didn't like that she felt immediate attraction to him and those feelings stayed throughout the book. Personally, I like slow burning romances a lot more.

There were a couple of plot twists, some I saw coming a mile away, others were more entertaining. The storyline isn't wildly spectacular, but I was looking for a fun and enjoyable pirate story and that is exactly what I got.

I gave this book 5 out of 5 stars. It was the right book at the right time for me. It is possible I would rate this a bit lower if I wasn't feeling so slumpy and considered this book as my saviour from the dark side of a reading slump. I you are interested in reading a young adult fantasy book, centred around pirates, this is the book for you! A female sass and kick-ass lead assured! I can't wait to read the second book!

No comments:

Post a Comment