Sunday 18 October 2015

Penryn and the End of Days Trilogy by Susan Ee


It's been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back.

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.

Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl.

Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels' stronghold in San Francisco where she'll risk everything to rescue her sister and he'll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again.



-- Goodreads.com description of Angelfall --

I read the first two books in this trilogy in July and I just finished End of Days in the beginning of October. First of all, I have to say that this series is so hyped up, I couldn't be but disappointed when I actually read it, and I was. Don't get me wrong, I liked it but I didn't love it as so many other people seem to. 

Angelfall -- 4 stars
World After -- 3 stars
End of Days -- 4 stars

Okay, since it has been a few months since I read the first two books I'm not going to write an in depth review on them. I just want to talk about the trilogy as a whole, so that's what I'm going to do. 
To sum up, this trilogy is about an angel apocalypse and an unlikely alliance between a girl looking out for her family and an angel who lost his wings. The trilogy is about life in this new world and the fight to survive. I thought it was quite an original story and apart from expecting way more, I really did like the first book, I liked World After a bit less and therefore I decided to wait with End of Days.

Now I had read some mixed reviews on the last book in the trilogy and since I enjoyed World After less than the first book, I did not expect much from End of Days. That's probably why, in the end, I did enjoy it more, since my expectations were lower. 

Now what is it that makes this trilogy so unique? Well, there are a lot of horror elements present in the story which made it more unpredictable for me. The creatures that appear in this book were unknown to me, in short, there were some new characters and species and I didn't know how it all would work out in the end.

I'm still doubting on what rating to give the trilogy in its entirety. It's either 3,5 or 4 stars, I'll let you decide. I can definitely see how people might find the trilogy lacking, my rating is definitely not a high 4 stars but I do feel like it wrapped up nicely. It could have been way worse. I do feel it might have been done better, it felt kind of rushed at times.

All in all, if you are interested in this series because of the description, I recommend you pick it up. If you are interested in the trilogy because of all the hype, I would recommend some other series or at least don't waste your money on it.

Have you read any books by Susan Ee? Let me know down below!

No comments:

Post a Comment