Thursday 7 January 2016

Fortune's Pawn (Paradox #1) by Rachel Bach

Devi Morris isn't your average mercenary. She has plans. Big ones. And a ton of ambition. It's a combination that's going to get her killed one day - but not just yet. 
That is, until she just gets a job on a tiny trade ship with a nasty reputation for surprises. The Glorious Fool isn't misnamed: it likes to get into trouble, so much so that one year of security work under its captain is equal to five years everywhere else. With odds like that, Devi knows she's found the perfect way to get the jump on the next part of her Plan. But the Fool doesn't give up its secrets without a fight, and one year on this ship might be more than even Devi can handle.

If Sigouney Weaver in Alien met Starbuck in Battlestar Galactica, you'd get Deviana Morris -- a hot new mercenary earning her stripes to join an elite fighting force. Until one alien bite throws her whole future into jeopardy.

-- Goodreads.com description --


I've heard so many good things about Fortune's Pawn which is why I was so disappointed with it in the end. I almost did not finish this one, but I was already 64% through and I wanted it to count on Goodreads even though I already completed my challenge.

Whilst reading Fortune's Pawn, I couldn't shake off the feeling that something was missing and that the book didn't really feel well developed. I didn't really like any of the characters which is a huge problem for me. I ultimately took a break from it, and read the last 30% a few weeks later. The last part of the book actually got better. I actually liked Devi however I still don't really like her love interest but I don't hate him anymore either. This might be because the romance wasn't well developed as well, which was such a shame!

The ending felt better structured and somehow I liked all the characters better. The ending itself was intriguing and might cause me to pick up the second book sometime in 2016.

Since I almost marked this book as a dnf, but still liked the ending, I'm ultimately giving this book 3 out of 5 stars and that's being generous. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it unless you're already too interested in the book and this review didn't sway you. In my opinion, Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff is a much better space opera.

No comments:

Post a Comment