Sunday 7 February 2016

Ruin and Rising (The Grisha #3) by Leigh Bardugo

The capital has fallen.

The Darkling rules Ravka from his shadow throne.

Now the nation's fate rests with a broken Sun Summoner, a disgraced tracker, and the shattered remnants of a once-great magical army.

Deep in an ancient network of tunnels and caverns, a weakened Alina must submit to the dubious protection of the Apparat and the zealots who worship her as a Saint. Yet her plans lie elsewhere, with the hunt for the elusive firebird and the hope that an outlaw prince still survives.

Alina will have to forge new alliances and put aside old rivalries as she and Mal race to find the last of Morozova's amplifiers. But as she begins to unravel the Darkling's secrets, she reveals a past that will forever alter her understanding of the bond they share and the power she wields. The firebird is the one thing that stands between Ravka and destruction—and claiming it could cost Alina the very future she’s fighting for. 

-- Goodreads.com description -- 

I finally finished Ruin and Rising! I started it in January, then I had to put it down in order to study for an exam and then, I had quite a lot of trouble picking it back up again, in part to blame to my reading slump. In the end, I gave it 4 out of 5 stars, however, I almost gave it 3 stars because of the slump. It was definitely a struggle to read, mostly because it was most likely the wrong book at the wrong time.

I do love all the characters in Leigh Bardugo's books although I find Mal extremly boring on certain occasions (which, let's be honest, is most of the time). My favourite character would actually have to be Nikolai, I think he's amazing and probably the most interesting and resourceful character of all (his only rival in this is the Darkling). I'm hoping to see more of Nikolai in Six of Crows but somehow I doubt it.

The ending filled me with very mixed feelings, I would have preferred Alina to end up with one of the other love interests but I do feel the ending was nicely done, and I understand why the author chose this ending. It fits and wraps things up nicely!

All in all, Ruin and Rising is probably my least favourite book of The Grisha Trilogy but I would definitely recommend the entire trilogy to anyone who is even remotely interested in reading it. Especially if you like great and likeable characters and a pretty cool world and magic system! Before purchasing the books, I heard some really mixed reviews which made me hesitant to pick them up, but now I'm so glad I did! I will definitely check out more of Leigh Bardugo's works in the future, in fact, I already ordered Six of Crows!

Did you read The Grisha Trilogy or do you want to? Leave your thoughts down below!

No comments:

Post a Comment