Monday 20 July 2020

Books by Black Authors I Recommend

BLACK LIVES MATTER! Today I want to recommend books by Black authors to show my support with the Black Lives Matter movement. I planned to do this a month ago, but due unexpected circumstances I had to postpone it. Nevertheless it is still as relevant today as it was a month ago.

These are in no particular order:

Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi



I read this extraordinary novel a couple of years ago and it's one of the books that stayed with me the most. It tells the story of multiple generations and it had quite an impact on me.

They Can't Kill Us All: Ferguson, Baltimore, and a New Era in America’s Racial Justice Movement by Wesley Lowery



I don't often read non-fiction but I'm happy I read and reviewed this one. I don't remember all the details (as I read this in 2017) but in my opinion it was a good introduction to the Black Lives Matter movement.


The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas



This young adult novel probably needs no introduction. It's incredible, just read it!


The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead



Another historical fiction novel on this list, although I do prefer Homegoing, if I'm being completely honest.

A Mercy by Toni Morrison



A Mercy not as well-known as other Morrison books (which I have yet to read) but I liked the writing style and plot and hope to read more Morrison soon.

Binti (Binti, #1) by Nnedi Okorafor 



A science-fiction novella. I still need to read the others but this was quite enjoyable.

Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters #1) by Talia Hibbert 



This was a fun romance novel, I'm excited to read the sequel as well.

My Sister, the Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite 



This thriller was such a quick and enjoyable read. I love the title and the cover, they intrigued me.

We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie



This is a short but important essay on feminism.
One of the quotes I liked the most:

“Culture does not make people. People make culture. If it is true that the full humanity of women is not our culture, then we can and must make it our culture.”
We Should All Be Feminists, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Which are your favourite books by Black authors? Let me know in the comments!


If you enjoyed this review, please follow me on Bloglovin'TwitterInstagram, TVShowTime and Goodreads! I would really appreciate it!


Have a wonderful day everyone!






2 comments:

  1. I would love to read The Underground Railroad. It's been on my wishlist for a while!

    ReplyDelete